Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Thinking Time Counts, Too!

“Pondering is a major part of the job, which is one of the cool things about being a writer.” – Alexander Steele in Gotham Writers' Workshop Writing Fiction.


I do a lot of pondering about stories. I might be walking on the treadmill at the fitness center, or waiting at a red light, or sitting in the doctor’s office, or driving somewhere, or even watching TV when an idea for a story, or a solution to a scene I’m stuck on, pops into my head. Hmm. Maybe I wasn’t as interested in that episode of CSI as I thought I was.

I like that I can add the time I spend pondering to my total writing hours. The one thing I haven’t got into the habit of doing is carrying a pad and pen on my person. I do keep one in my car. If I’m working out, and I come up with a great idea for a story, I repeat it over and over in my mind to help me remember. Most of the time that works, but I’m sure some story lines have been lost because I didn’t write them down as soon as I thought of them. Oops. Gotta go. Another story idea just surfaced.

No comments: