Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I Want, I Want, I Want

"A character should want something." – Brandi Reissenweber in Gotham Writers' Workshop Writing Fiction.
I reviewed a story this morning where I couldn’t tell what the main character wanted. In another story, the character was ambivalent about what he wanted. Neither story worked for me. The author didn’t present me with characters I cared about.

I stated in an earlier post my practice of showing the reader what my character wants in the opening paragraph. I believe that people read to be entertained and to encounter characters they can sympathize with. I try to create such characters and provide them with problems to overcome. This doesn’t mean the character has to be likable, but it should be someone the reader wants to know more about.

No comments: