Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Stories, Stories Everywhere

"Everybody walks past a thousand story ideas every day. The good writers are the ones who see five or six of them. Most people don't see any." -- Orson Scott Card (Official Website)
That settles it. I’m not a good writer. I go entire days without seeing any stories. Obviously, I need to be more receptive to all the ideas I’m bombarded with each day.

When in Need, Go to the Mall

I’ve read a number of suggestions stating I should go to a mall and watch the people to get ideas for stories and characters. I tried this. I saw a lot of uninteresting people who sat around watching me. I guess I went on the wrong day. Or maybe my receptors are out of whack. I’ll have to check with my doctor.

Listen to the People

Another piece of advice is to listen to people when you’re at a gym, mall, concert, or any public gathering. You can learn about how people talk. Have these people ever tried to have a conversation in a food court? I can't hear myself, let along the mothers at the next table tending to their babies. I tried this at my fitness center a few times. I wasn’t successful. In one area, there was too much noise coming from the machines, and the music made it difficult to hear what was being said without getting so close that I could have been arrested for stalking. In the other room, the testosterone was flowing heavily, and the conversation was mundane. Besides, I needed to concentrate on what I was doing so I didn’t end up pinned to a bench by the barbell I was showing off with. Okay, I doubt anyone was intimidated by an old, skinny guy lifting less than his own weight.

Becoming a Good Writer

I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. So I’ll make a December resolution. Here goes. I resolve to become a good writer in 2009. In fact, I’ll start right now. I’m looking out my office window. I see some houses, some dead trees, and...yawn. The day’s still young. I’ll come up with something.

No comments: