Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No One is Perfect

“Good writers show different sides of a person’s personality.” -- unknown (to me)
I need to do a better job of remembering that no one is perfect when I flesh out the characters in my stories. As a reader, I don’t want to see only the good or bad side of a character. I want to know more. I think I’m getting better at giving my protagonists flaws and creating antagonists with something positive in their personalities, even if the traits are minor.

4 comments:

Alyssa Ast said...

I agree. I think that is what makes a great book. You are able to connect with the book more, if that makes any sense.

Rebecca Nazar said...

I struggle with characterization too. I feel foibles are necessary to advance the plot. How else is a character going to change?

Vivian said...

Complex characters bring life-like dimension that people can relate to. Good quote!

AVR said...

I think coming up with the characters is one of the hardest things when writing a story. On one of my posts I give suggestions on how to develop a character from people you know and use what you liked or not from each and mix and match these traits to make up your own characters. I feel a character has to be as well rounded as you can make him or her, and someone you can or your readers can relate too, everyday people, just like us with their ups/downs, flaws, strengths and weaknesses.