Monday, January 26, 2009

That's a Story?

"Tell the readers a story! Because without a story, you are merely using words to prove you can string them together in logical sentences."--Anne McCaffrey in Writing Quotes of the Day as posted on Mike’s Writing Workshop & Newsletter blog
Okay, all of you who read this quote and said to yourself, “Oh duh,” raise your hand. Me too. It amazes me the number of submissions I read for Flash Me Magazine -- the next edition comes out at the end of the month -- that I don’t consider to be stories. A few are wonderful scenes. Some are quaint memories. Others are...well, I’m not sure what they are. In _one_ sentence, I’d be interested in hearing what you think constitutes a story.

I posted related quote to this topic a few weeks ago. You can read it here.

3 comments:

Loren Christie said...

Hi Jim,
I remember reading somewhere that editors often get submissions that chronicle a series of events, but fail to form these happenings into a story. I wonder if I do this when I write a blog entry.

Loren Christie said...

I have to revert back to the plot diagram. There has to be a setting, rising action, a turning point and some sort of conclusion. That's a story.

AVR said...

I would say that a story introduces your two main characters and builds any supporting characters later as the story goes along. The characters need to have some sort of conflict within themselves and with each other. This is what evolves throughout the story and gets resolved at the end. The chapters you write have to move the story line along, there needs to be action, suspense or some sort of mystery, that builds up and gets solved.