Thursday, January 29, 2009

What's Creative Writing Got To Do With It?

“Creative writing is anything where the purpose is to express thoughts, feelings and emotions rather than to simply convey information.” -- Creative Writing 101 @ DailyWritingTips
I read a post on one of the blogs I follow in which the author said she didn’t consider blogs to fall into the category of creative writing. Here’s what she had to say. I agree for the most part. Financial and tech blogs come to mind. Many personal blogs contain posts about what the person did that day, significant events in the person's life, or opinions on current issues in the news. These are all factual in nature. But what about posts of memories of a loved one who has been dead for a while? Might these not be creative in nature, as opposed to a simple listing of events? The post may reflect how the author remembers the person, rather than what actually happened. (This is getting close to a discussion of creative nonfiction, but that’s a topic for another time.) One of my followers posts his short stories on his blog. Certainly, these posts are a form of creative writing.

The author confuses the issue by stating that one of the reasons most blogs should not be considered creative writing is because they’re poorly written. The quality of the writing is a separate issue to me. I read many fiction submissions that, while creative, are poorly crafted. Boy, are they poorly crafted. :) What do you think?

-- Hmm, I wonder where this blog falls on the writing spectrum. --

3 comments:

AVR said...

I would have to say that so far, a lot of the blogs I have read, are creative writing and based on your definition of what creative writing is. The writers relate their stories/experiences that they feel are important to them and want to share in their blog/website. I think the important thing is what is written more than the way it is written.

Jim Harrington said...

AVR said:

"I think the important thing is what is written more than the way it is written."

Agreed, but do you find yourself turned off by something that is poorly written? I do.

Bryan said...

I don't think it's really for people to decide what creative writing is and what it isn't. High quality or low quality doesn't really matter in my opinion (I would imagine that a lot of high quality writing started off low quality anyway) but I think it needs to come from somewhere inside.

If it's talking about what you ate that day, it's not creative, but if it's how that food made you feel, it comes closer to creative. That's one man's opinion :).

Sincerely,
Bryan