Tuesday, February 17, 2009

On Being Observant

“Every person you meet -- and everything you do in life -- is an opportunity to learn something.” -- Tom Clancy in The Writer’s Digest Guide to Good Writing.
In a previous post, I wrote about going to the mall to observe people and seeing a lot of dull, ordinary individuals. Have I gotten better at "seeing" what's around me since that post? No. :) I’m going to the mall today to get my glasses fixed. I plan to make a special effort to be more observant. Perhaps I should write a blog post describing what I learned.

1 comment:

AVR said...

Yes, it would be nice to share how it went at the mall. I did not "see" things either until late last year. Once I began to "see" beyond the obvious, then I knew that the "writer" in me was truly coming out. My teacher said to open yourself up to writing about anything: a paper clip, a pencil, a picture. If you look at something long enough, the words will come out to describe it. Don't try hard to "see", it will come naturally. Sit at a bench at the mall and don't try hard, just sit there and watch with an open mind. There is a lot to write about, especially about people that go to a mall. In your mind, make up what two people might be talking about or describe what they wear and guess where they are from, etc.