Monday, February 16, 2009

That "Shazzam" Moment

“If there is any one thing I love about writing more than the rest, it’s that sudden flash of insight when you see how everything connects.” -- Stephen King in On Writing.
This happened to me two weeks ago. I’d been struggling with a story. I couldn’t get rid of the feeling that there was a hiccup in the flow. Something important was missing. I’m not sure what happened, but as I rewrote and rewrote the scene in question, the answer finally came to me. I let out a sigh of relieve, checked the grammar and spelling once more, and submitted the story for publication.

I spent most of last week, including Sunday, my normal day off, finalizing another story. I liked the piece, except for one paragraph. I knew what I wanted to say, but couldn’t get the wording right. Early Sunday afternoon, I finally said “uncle.” I felt I’d gotten the paragraph as close to right as I could. Then I spent over an hour searching for a publication to submit it to.

Y'all know what’s going to happen. The second story will be accepted and the first rejected. I don’t know how I’ll feel about that. :)

No comments: