Friday, March 6, 2009

“Book-buyers aren’t attracted, by and large, by the literary merits of a novel; book-buyers want a good story to take with them on the airplane, something that will first fascinate them, then pull them in and keep them turning the pages.” -- Stephen King in On Writing.
Later, Mr. King adds:
"This happens, I think, when readers recognize the people in a book, their behaviors, their surroundings, and their talk."
I’m curious.

Is there a particular quote on writing (other than one posted here), or piece of advice you’ve found helpful in some way?
Is there a quote I posted on this blog that stuck with you?
Do you have a favorite book or article on writing?
If you were to write an original quote on writing, what would it be?

3 comments:

Jim Harrington said...

Here's my original quote.

Don't write _about_ your characters. Write as if you are them.

AVR said...

I just posted something relating to character development and a character outline. One of my favorite books on the craft of writing is "Writing Down The Bones" by Natalie Goldberg. My original quote: "Get to know yourself first, as a writer, before you become one of your characters".

Jim Harrington said...

I've heard of the book you mention, but haven't read it yet. I'll have to get a copy.

I've used the Character Questionnaire provided by the Gotham Writer Workshop.
http://www.writingclasses.com/WritersResources/toolbox.php

Good quote.