Monday, March 30, 2009

How Does Your Story Grow?

“Each of us must approach fiction writing using whatever method works best - plotting in advance or diving right in with just a character or two. Regardless of the writing process that we use individually, we should all be aware of the various elements that exist in the world of fiction writing and plotting.” -- Melissa Donovan in Plotting Fiction: The Elements of Plot.
The seeds for my stories are simple. I take a character and/or a story idea and start writing. Most of the time I don’t know exactly how the story will end, and even if I think I do, I’m often wrong. I tried plotting once by outlining a series of scenes. It didn’t work for me. I wrote a story based on this outline, but the final version was far from the plot I'd laid out. That’s my approach to writing a story, and I’m sticking with it. What’s your preferred method?

1 comment:

Melissa Donovan said...

Me? I have tried every which way possible, and the only time I made it all the way through a first draft of a novel, I started with just three characters, and no idea what the plot would be. But my characters worked it out for me ;) Thanks for the link!