Monday, March 16, 2009

Write What You Enjoy Reading

“There are only two rules I’d give to aspiring writers: one, write what you enjoy reading and, two, never, ever, ever give up; rejection is a speed bump, not a brick wall.” -- Jeffery Deaver.
I have rule number two down. I’ve received enough rejections to be immune to them -- mostly. I still bristle at comments that make me wonder if the editor even tried to understand what I attempted in the story, but I also know these folks receive hundreds of submissions every month and can’t spend a lot of time with each one.

Rule number one has new meaning for me. This isn’t the first time I’ve read this piece of advice, but it stuck with me after a recent revelation. My leisure reading consists of mystery and suspense novels. Yet, when I look back at the stories I’ve written, many have a horror component. I’m not sure where this penchant comes from. I don’t read horror stories. Heck, I’ve never made it all the way through a Stephen King book, the author many in the field consider the current master of the genre. I've started reading stories from online horror magazines and have a list of novels to read once I finish the current batch I’m working on. Gosh, I hope the new ones don't keep me awake at night.

2 comments:

Koala Bear Writer said...

Hmmm, interesting advice that's also come home for me. My first novel is historical/fantasy--which doesn't work. Right now, I'm reading through whatever fantasy I can get my hands on, in order to rework my novel into a good fantasy story. (Thankfully, my hubby has a collection of good fantasy from his junior high years...:)

Jim Harrington said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. :)