Thursday, April 9, 2009

Show Don't Tell Redeux

Mystery readers prefer to learn about fictional characters the way they get to know real people: by watching them and listening to them. -- William G. Tapply in The Elements of Mystery Fiction.
The idea of show don’t tell pops up once again. As a reader of any kind of fiction, I prefer to watch and listen to the characters as opposed to being told what they’re doing and saying. My first drafts tend to do a lot of telling. I edit as I write, but not as much as I did in my early stories. My goal now is to get the story down. Then I go back, delete the telling parts, and add bits of dialog and actions to show what my characters are up to. Not only do I find the end result more interesting, the prose flows much better also.

1 comment:

latisha said...

oh but killing my babies is so hard! each word is precious right???