Friday, May 29, 2009

Choosing the Right Words

"The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug." – Mark Twain.
I may need to request replacements for my dictionary and thesaurus for Christmas. Mine are wearing out. I wrote a 55 word story this week. The purpose was to force myself to write and submit a story for critique. It took over two hours to craft something I felt was good enough to send to my writing group. Why? The damn words! Words like puttered, instead of worked. Deciding if it should be wider or widened. Distraught took a while to come up with. I don't know how many variations “anger's dark mask mounted on her face” went through before ending up in the story. It's the same with every piece I write. Finding the correct words is one part of the challenge in crafting a successful story that's keeps me interested in writing.

No comments: