Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Don't Ignore Your Weaknesses

“If you ignore your weaknesses and continue to write the same way you have been, chances are any improvement you make will be slow. If, instead, you acknowledge your weaknesses and focus on improving them, you have a much better chance of making major improvements over a short period of time.” -- Jeanne Cavalos in Director’s Corner: Developing Your Skills
I used to be terrible at grammar. I'm much better at it now, but that's because I spend a lot of time editing my text for mistakes. If I'm not sure about something, I take the time to look it up.

I found an unexpected down side to my effort. I read a short story by Guy de Maupassant last week that I found here. Whoever typed the story did a poor job of editing, and every mistake I encountered slowed me down. It was annoying, but showed me how much better I am at recognizing errors in usage.

1 comment:

Alyssa Ast said...

Wonderful words of advice!