Friday, May 8, 2009

Exercising My Writing Muscle

"Exercise the writing muscle every day, even if it is only a letter, notes, a title list, a character sketch, a journal entry. Writers are like dancers, like athletes. Without that exercise, the muscles seize up." – Jane Yolen as posted on Mike's Writing Workshop and Newsletter.
I've been bothered this year that I haven't spent as much time on my own writing projects as I did last year. This quote eases my mind. I do spend time exercising my writing muscle every day. Some days its writing blog posts. (I pre-post most of them and sometimes write more than one per day.) Other times I review stories submitted for publication, or read articles on writing, published short stories, and novels. And I work on my own stories (either writing or thinking through ideas) during a typical week. I've slacked off a little this month, but wrote four short stories in both January and February. That's a lot for me. I spent most of my time in March on editing duties. I was on vacation last week and still spent time critiquing a couple of stories and polishing one to submit for critiques. Now that I think about it, I'm doing just fine.

2 comments:

Alyssa Ast said...

I find this to be true as well, along with reading. For me writing everyday brings me another satisfaction. I use to have trouble sleeping because my brain wouldn't shut off. Once I began writing everyday I can now effortlessly fall asleep at night. Great post!

Loren Christie said...

Hi Jim,
That's why I started a blog in the first place. I just wanted to practice writing and make some connections with other writers. Looking back on a year of it, I see I really haven't tried writing fiction that much,(unless you count the posts written by my pets). I think I'm going to focus on this genre next week. Thanks for the thoughts.
-Loren