Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mastering the Craft of Writing

“Writing isn't something you master, it's a craft that you'll spend the rest of your life working on.” -- Patricia Bray in Interview: Patricia Bray, posted on odysseyworkshop.
This is encouraging. :) It reminds me of the old saying “the harder I work, the behinder I get,” or something like that. The more I read about writing, the more I realize how little I know. Not that reading as much as I do bothers me. Heck, I'm one of the few people who actually reads the manuals for products I buy.

I read “The Bet,” a short story by Anton Checkhov, a couple of weeks ago. It made me wonder why I think I can write. Okay, I can write, just not to his level – yet. hahaha

1 comment:

Loren Christie said...

Hi Jim,
I've never read that story. It's amazing. Thanks for passing it on. I'd really appreciate your feedback on a story I wrote today called "Fallen." It's on my blog, if you have an opportuntity to visit. Warning: At the moment, I may stink at this. You have to start somewhere, right? Rest easy, there are no talking animals in this one. :)-Loren