Monday, June 15, 2009

Choices, Choices, Choices

“When you come to the fork in the road, take it.” – Yogi Berra.
Every writer comes to that fork sometime. Do I write today, or do I [fill in the blank]? When I began writing, I did -- seven days a week -- even the days when nothing good appeared on the page.

I realize now writer's block isn't the problem when a story doesn't come to me. The reason I can't write is simple. The story/topic I'm writing isn't one I feel passionate enough about. Or as Andrew Davis put it in his letter to the editor (The Writer, July 2009),
"If you are unable to write, it's either because your characters have nothing to say, do or think, or you simply don't have a workable idea in the drawer."
So do I write every day? Kind of. I write most days for fifteen to twenty minutes, and if nothing interesting comes out, I stop and do something else, like read a writing article, or critique someone else's work. I'm not writing, but I'm working at writing. For me, that counts.

No comments: