Tuesday, June 30, 2009

How Do You Begin Your Writing Session?

“It is important to have a way worked out to begin your writing; otherwise, washing the dishes becomes the most important thing on earth – anything that will divert you from writing.” – Natalie Goldberg in Writing Down the Bones.
This makes perfect sense. Humans are creatures of habit. So why didn’t I think of this before? :) It's easy to get distracted. It happens to me all the time, but I always get to the writing part eventually. I write most of my blog posts ahead of time. On those days, I start my writing with the posts. I write two or three (that may be thirty to fifty minutes of writing and revising) and take a break. Other days I read over what I wrote the previous day, start writing something new (which sometimes is a struggle), or critique a story if my writing muse isn’t ready yet. I suppose I should have a set routine everyday. The easiest thing would be to write one blog post each day and then proceed to other writing projects. I’ll have to give this some thought.

No comments: