Thursday, June 4, 2009

When I Know Why I Write

“... once I'm in the midst of actually writing, it's its own greatest reward.” – Natalie Goldberg in Writing Down the Bones.
Like many writers, I have days when I don't feel like writing, or worse, CAN'T write. It's like there's a switch in my butt that turns my brain off when I sit in the chair. I look around my office, out the window, into my mind, and find nothing interesting to write about. I pull out my notebook, check my list of story ideas, and they remain nothing more than words on paper. I start typing anything that comes to mind and end the prose with THIS SUCKS, or something equally demeaning.

And then it happens. An idea comes to me – perhaps started by a prompt. A character emerges to tell the story, and words spew from my brain like hot lava from Mt. St. Helens, overwhelming my fingers. Even the revision process is something I look forward to. Often I have to force myself to stop working on the story so that compost known as my brain can let the tale foment and mature. It's times like these when I know why I AM A WRITER.

2 comments:

Krisz said...

Oh, yeah, it happens to me all the time. No coherence between words, no ideas, no topic. Nothing. And then, it clicks and starts to flow. And you are right, those moments of productive writing keep us pushing forward and give us enough energy to last until the next moment of creativity burst. And I wouldn’t trade those moments for anything the world.

Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I am the webmaster of PR 4 website located at http://bob-marleyquotes.blogspot.com .I want to exchange link with your this site. If interested add my link [Title:Bob Marley Quotes] and send me your link details. I will add it to my website ASAP. Waiting for your quick reply.

Thanks & Regards,
Manish Kapoor