Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Prepare to Fail

“I've learned this about writing – if you will not put yourself in a position to fail, you cannot succeed.” -- Holy Lisle in Mugging the Muse.
I’ve been procrastinating about rewriting a couple of short stories. In both cases, I know they need new directions. The solution for one story came to me at 3:00 this morning. I woke up -- don’t remember why -- and a new opening sentence and the problem with the ending came to me. I got up, made notes on the current draft, and went back to bed. For the second story, I’m still not sure where to go with it. The point of today’s quote is that regardless of where I am mentally in the process, the important thing is to write something. It may not improve what I have already, but I won’t know for certain until I try. It’s time to go put myself in a position to fail. Hasta mañana.

No comments: