Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Tip For Getting Your Novel/Story Published

“There are two most-common-problems [with manuscript submissions]: First, a lot of material is simply not that well-written. And second, even manuscripts that are otherwise adequate lack originality.” -- Ginjer Buchanan on the odysseyworkshop blog.
I find this to be true with the short short stories I review for publication in Apollo’s Lyre. I received a work of fiction recently about writer’s block. The idea for the plot was interesting, but I’ve read many stories on the topic; and the twist at the end this one wasn’t strong enough to make the work standout. Numerous grammatical problems worked against the author also, who didn't know the correct format for a journal title, nor a story title. In addition, the punctuation used in the dialog was incorrect. I’ve said it before on this blog. If you submit stories (to any publication) with obvious errors in the writing basics, your chances of publication are slim.

2 comments:

Loren Christie said...

Hello Jim! I haven't commented in a while so I thought I'd drop you a line. Your blog is always a tremendous help to me.

Jim Harrington said...

Thanks, Loren. I appreciate knowing my efforts are helpful to other writers.