Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Did It!

“The writer who lacks courage will never succeed.” -- Holy Lisle in Mugging the Muse.
I use this quote today, because yesterday I did something courageous. As you know, I write mostly flash fiction -- stories under 1000 words. Last year, I began a project where I attempted to write a novel using flash fiction techniques. To do this, I decided no chapter should be more than 650 words long. It was an interesting experiment. One I’m not sure worked. I ended of with a something that’s too short to be a novel (or novella), yet too long to be a short story. Anyway, I dusted the manuscript off today, wrote an outline and cover letter, and sent if off to Coffee House Press. Honestly, I don’t expect much to happen, but at least I took the first step. With any luck, someone will think it’s good enough to work it into something publishable. I’ll let you know what I hear.

No comments: