Thursday, August 27, 2009

To Outline, or Not To Outline

“At the time I begin writing a novel, the last thing I want to do is follow a plot outline. To know too much a the start takes the pleasure out of discovering what the book is about.” -- Elmore Leonard in “Making it up as I go along” [AARP The Magazine, July/August 2009]
There’s a lot of debate about whether to outline a story or not. I don’t. I like to learn along with the characters what happens in a story. I’m sure if I knew everything I needed to know about a story before I began writing, it wouldn't be long before boredom set in, and I stopped.

1 comment:

Alyssa Ast said...

I completly agree with you. My the time I complete an outline, I have lost all motivation for the book. I may just jot down a few key aspects of the book so I don't forget but other then that, I just like to let it flow.