Monday, September 21, 2009

Staying Motivated

"No matter how much you love to write, some days it is very difficult to stay motivated. That's normal. Especially for fiction writers, many whose deadlines are self-imposed, it is too easy to let the day slip, thinking that you will get back to it tomorrow. I know. I've been there." -- Lonnie Ezell in "How to Stay Motivated as a Writer."
This is something I struggle with. There are days when the last thing I want to do is write. This article provides some great ideas to help motivate me to keep plugging away. In addition to Lonnie's suggestions, I have a couple of my own.

At times, when I'm blocked, I read a few chapters in a novel, or critique stories. Yesterday, for the first time, I typed -- word-for-word -- three stories in an online magazine that I'd like to be published in. It was an interesting exercise that made me concentrate on how the authors wrote their stories. I'm sure I will do it again. Oh, and it did inspire me to type out a few words of my own.

No comments: