Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Writing is Hard Work

"What is written without effort is in general read without pleasure." -- Samuel Johnson.
I can’t think of anything I’ve ever done that didn’t involve some kind of effort. Riding a bicycle. Playing the trumpet. Writing computer programs. Bowling. They all involved a lot practice before I got the point I felt proficient at any of them. I wonder why some people think writing is any different. I can spend twenty minutes or longer on one sentence choosing the right words to set a mood, describe a character, or create dialog that fits the protagonist’s personality. I even go over and over and over these brief blog posts, revising, moving, and deleting sentences and words. Writing takes practice and study, and I have no difficulty picking out those individuals who don’t believe this is true.

No comments: