Thursday, October 15, 2009

Emotional Tension

“Sometimes we write passages or whole stories that fail to engage our readers emotionally, even though these passages or stories engage our own emotions. We fuss about with the plot, the dialog, the structure of the scenes but sometimes we still get nothing out of our readers. I believe one common cause of this is lack of emotional tension for the characters themselves.” -- Scott G. F. Bailey in Emotional Tension. [posted on The Literary Lab]

I'm having this problem with the current story I'm working on. I know it's because I'm not into the character enough. I thought I knew what he was thinking, but it's not coming out in the story. I've decided to have a chat with the character to find out what's really on his mind. If that doesn't work, I'll probably set the story aside for a few days and try again.

No comments: