Monday, October 19, 2009

Point of View

“The notion that ‘the most important thing in fiction is point of view’ is a beguiling but vacuous theory that bears only a marginal relation to real practice.” [and] “In any decent piece of fiction, there will be certain perceptions and thoughts that cannot be ascribed to any of the characters. They are the thoughts and the perceptions of the work.” [text omitted] “It is the mind not just of Jane Austen but of Pride and Prejudice that tells us ‘It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.’” -- Stephen Koch in The Modern Library Writer’s Workshop.
I’m still thinking about these two quotes. I understand the need for multiple points of view in some novels. I’ve attempted it myself. I wonder in this example from Pride and Prejudice if it’s from the point of view of the work, or is the idea of a successful man needing a wife from a societal point of view. Maybe the answer is both. I don’t know. What do you think?

No comments: