Wednesday, October 7, 2009

When to Break the Rules

“The premise I am promoting here is not that one should irreverently disregard the well-established rules of creative fiction, but that when the author's judgment, coming from whatever source, urges breaking the rules, it is worth taking the risk, so that one's work may have the opportunity of achieving greatness and not be merely good by playing it safe.” -- Hugh Rosen in “Following the Rules of Creating Fiction: But How Far?"
I've broken "the rules" a few times. Sometimes it’s worked well and other times not so much. The important thing for me to consider is why I’m breaking the rules. If I can’t think of a good reason, then I probably should stick with what I know is acceptable.

Do you break the rules? If so, do you think about why you're doing it? Have you been successful?

No comments: