Monday, November 9, 2009

The Importance of Beginnings

“The opening (beginning - first chapter) should captivate and keep your reader’s attention. That initial hook is the difference between writers who understand the importance and those who don’t.” -- Lea Schizas in The Force Behind the Book.
I receive submissions all the time that don’t grab my attention in the opening paragraph. I wish more writers realized the importance of this. I’m going to be doing some research -- I’ll have an announcement about this shortly -- about the importance of book openings. I’m pretty sure I already know what the results will be. With all the competition out there to get published, authors can’t afford to overlook any edge they can get. Grabbing the attention of an editor with a compelling opening is essential.

No comments: