Friday, January 29, 2010

The Rewards of Persistence

“Sometimes it may take many years to get published, but writing is a field that rewards survivors. And if you have talent and continue to learn, and you’re persistent, you’ll earn a measure of success.” -- Ron Hansen in “To Entertain and Educate.” [The Writer, February 2010]
Those of you struggling to publish (finish?) that first novel take heart. This reminds me of another phrase: "slow and steady wins the race." Of course, it's easy to preach this; but difficult to keep it in the forefront of our thoughts. I don't write novels, but there have been some short stories that took forever to finish--or at least it felt that way at the time.  I have a couple that still aren't done, and I wonder if I'll ever finish them. Wait! Poor attitude. Of course, I'll finish them. In fact, it's time to grab one from the pile and get to work. Hasta luego, amigos.

No comments: