Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Take Your MC for a Walk

“Take a walk in your neighborhood (or a local, unfamiliar one), but view everything as you would for a foreign-travel journal, recording your impressions.” Arthur Plotnik in “Take a productive break from writing.” [The Writer, February 2010]
Another option would be to take a walk as the protagonist in your current WIP. I’ve never tried this, but it sounds like an interesting idea. I imagine at first I would see things through my own eyes, but, hopefully, the character’s viewpoint would take over at some point. I could also look at the same place (perhaps on different days) from the eyes of: an eight year old boy, a seventy-three year old woman, a Christian, an atheist, a dog, etc. You get the idea. Take a walk. Stretch your imagination. And don’t forget to take along something to capture your thoughts.

No comments: