Monday, February 22, 2010

Am I a Bad Writer?

“Only bad writers think that their work is really good.” -- Anne Enright in Ten Rules for Writing Fiction.

I’ve encountered a few of these people. I’m sure you have, too. I wonder where I fit into this comment.

A few of my stories that I felt were really good were accepted by the first editor I sent them to. A few works I thought were really good were rejected a number of times before finding a home (and often after another revision, or two). A few works I thought were okay were published with relative ease. A few works I didn’t believe would be accepted anywhere were. A few pieces residing on my computer will never be seen by anyone other than me. :)

So am I a good or a bad writer--according to today’s quote? I think I'm a good writer, because I never send a piece out until I’ve revised and edited it as much as I can. It still may not be a really good story, but it's the best I have to offer; and I know mine is not the final opinion on anything I write--including this post.

1 comment:

April W Gardner said...

Great quote! Good for a chuckle, that one. And so true. Every now and then, I think "I've just written a great line." Mostly, I'm like you. I just give it my best shot and have a blast doing it!