Friday, March 5, 2010

Time To Get To Work

“If you don’t learn to finish, you never learn to revise, and if you don’t revise, you’re not writing.” -- John Dufresne in The Southeast Review [an interview by Tom DeMarchi].

Lately, I’ve had just the opposite problem. I have a number of completed drafts sitting in my “needs work” box. For some reason, I don’t feel like finishing them. I take one out, read through the critiques, make notes, and...set it aside. I have a number of things I’m involved with at the moment, and some days I’m simply too tired to think about working on my own stories. Or is this simply a convenient excuse for not working on a story I’m not passionate about to begin with? I don’t know. In some cases, it’s more that I don’t know what to do with the piece. I like the idea behind the story. I like the characters. But there’s something missing. Something I can’t put my finger on. Ha! Another excuse to do nothing. I need to stop writing new stuff, stop finding excuses for not  working on my existing pieces, force myself to revise what I have, and get them out. They won’t get published sitting on my desk.

No comments: