Friday, April 9, 2010

Website: AutoCrit

Website: AutoCrit
I saw this site mentioned on The Muffin (the blog section of the WOW:Women on Writing website). It’s an interesting tool that analyzes the words in a story. The free version is limited to 800 words and offers reports on Overused Words, Repeated Phrases, and Sentence Length Variation. I pasted in one of my flash stories and did quite well. The software found one repetition that it suggested I change. On the paid side (there are membership tiers), added reports include Dialogue Tags, Names and Pronouns, Cliche Finder, and more.

Pick a few words from one of your stories and take AutoCrit for a test drive. You might be surprised by what you learn about your writing. Oh, and post a comment here to let us know how you made out (The bashful among us can send me your results in a private e-mail (jpharrin (at) gmail (dot) com, and I'll post them anonymously).

2 comments:

Alyssa Ast said...

We have this on the WM Freelance Connection but I have yet to try it myself. I am thinking it's time to give it a try.

Janine said...

I use the AutoCrit Wizard all the time! I love it. It saves me so much time and finds things that I've missed on a zillion read-thrus.

I totally recommend trying it :-)