Monday, May 17, 2010

Writing is Exciting

“Candy is dandy and liquor is quicker, but writing is exciting” -- Nick Mamatas in “In Praise of the Short Story” [The Writer, June 2010]
I love this, and it’s so true. That moment when a tiny idea finally materializes into a completed story provides quite a high. It takes many revisions to get to the point where I’m satisfied with the results; but when it happens, there’s no better feeling.

A close second is the day I receive the elusive acceptance e-mail. Wait. Shouldn't the latter be ranked higher? Sometimes. More often, my proudest moment is when I pull my fingers from the keyboard and say to myself, "The end."

The hard part of writing is remaining inspired while struggling through failed stories and multiple rejections, and second-guessing my decision to attempt writing fiction in the first place. Perhaps these are the times when candy and liquor are appropriate. :)

No comments: